Sunday, March 1, 2009

1st Method: Commas with Coordinating Conjunctions

The following are the seven most common coordinating conjunctions and their functions:


And – adds a positive idea

Example: I like cats, and I like dogs.


But – contrasts ideas

Example: I like cats, but I don’t like dogs.


For – introduces a reason

Example: I like cats, for they are soft and cuddly.


Or – joins alternative ideas

Example: I will buy a white cat, or I will buy a black dog.


Nor – adds an idea

Example: I will not buy a dog, nor will I buy a puppy.


Yet – contrasts ideas

Example: I don’t like dogs, yet I am not mean to them.


So – shows a result

Example: I like cats and dogs, so I bought one of each.


**Note: The word while is sometimes used as a coordinating conjunction in the sense of but. It is sometimes used colloquially as and, but it should be avoided in formal writing.


Example: A heptagon is seven-sided, while a pentagon is five-sided.


**Note: In formal English, the coordinating conjunction for is often used instead of the subordinating conjunction because, especially when the second clause gives evidence for, or states an explanation of the main clause.


Example: I knew his answer was wrong, (because/for) I had read the same article.


Informal English will use because; formal English will use for. By using for, both ideas are given equal importance, and the second clause still gives evidence or states an explanation of the first clause.


**Note: Coordinating conjunctions are used to connect parts of equal value, such as...


Words:

boys and girls


Phrases:

in one ear and out the other


Subordinating Clauses:

I am voting for him

because he seems honest,

and

because he is fair.


Independent Clauses:

He grew up on a farm,

yet

he understands the city.


Sentences:

Your tie and shirt are both expensive.

But they do not match.

No comments:

Post a Comment